This contribution contains source code for the statistical analyses executed in Jochen Späth, Kai Daniel Schmid, "The Distribution of Household Savings in Germany", Journal of Economics and Statistics, forthcoming.
Language of the source code is Stata. The analyses are based on the Sample Survey of Household Income and Expenditure in Germany (in German: Einkommens- und Verbrauchsstichprobe), Grundfile 3, years 2003, 2008 and 2013.
To run the source code in Stata
(1) put the do files into a folder on your local system
(2) edit the file and folder paths contained in the do files to suit your local environment
(3) run the master do file (master.do); all other do files will be started from the master do file automatically.
The purposes of the do files in this contribution are as follows:
- master.do: starts all do files needed to run the analyses contained in in Späth/Schmid(forthcoming).
- gen ELASTIC EVS GF3 2003 3R05 SQ 2.4.do: read in original data from the year 2003 and perform basic data preparations
- gen ELASTIC EVS GF3 2008 3R05 SQ 2.4.do: same for the year 2008
- gen ELASTIC EVS GF3 2013 3R05 SQ 2.4.do: same for the year 2013
- append SKYBLUE EVS GF3 2003-2013 3R05 SQ.do: combine the three cross sections into a single data set
- HSV-EVS_01b_DataPrepAuxVars 1.4.do: basic data preparations for the statistical analyses in Späth/Schmid(forthcoming).
- HSV-EVS_02_IncomeWealth 2.8.do: analyses reported in Späth/Schmid(forthcoming).
Data from the Sample Survey of Household Income and Expenditure in Germany are confidential and therefore not part of this contribution; nevertheless, researchers can obtain access to the microdata by applying at the German Federal Statistical Office at http://www.forschungsdatenzentrum.de/datenzugang.asp.